Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Enchanted Castle (Kids Book By You)


It’s the school holidays, and Mummy wants to take Sophie and Emma on an adventure. Sophie and Emma view the idea with deep suspicion. They’ve been on Mummy’s ‘adventures’ before. It’s true that the hotel they’re staying in used to be a castle, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll be fun – what if it smells?




This is an updated version of the novel of this title by E. Nesbit. The original Enchanted Castle is about three children (plus their new princess friend), but the personalised version has only two. This works really well, as it gives both children a big role to play in the story (the original is dominated by Gerald, and although I really like him as a character, you don’t get boys like him nowadays).

The updated version of the story is quite a rigorous rewrite. Children’s lives have changed a lot in the last hundred years, and the personalised book reflects that. In the original, Gerald, Kathleen and Jimmy are forced to spend the school holidays at Kathleen’s boarding school where they are looked after by the French mistress. Not really the kind of thing that happens nowadays, but rewriting it as a holiday with Mummy works really well.

I do love the original book, but it is true that I don’t identify with Gerald, Kathleen or Jimmy in quite the same way as I do with Sophie and Emma. Emma is really lovely and I like to think I’m not too horrendous, but we wouldn’t behave like Gerald in the original. We’d probably be in trouble if we did! What seemed like charming behaviour in E. Nesbit’s time would not always be appreciated now. (I noticed something similar in the personalised Sense & Sensibility - Marianne’s ‘rudeness’ would hardly seem rude at all today, while Elinor’s ‘politeness’ would probably be taken as sarcasm, and cause great offence.)

I haven’t checked both versions of The Enchanted Castle in detail, but it seems as though almost every sentence has been rewritten. However, it does tell the same story. Although the personalised version is much shorter, surprisingly little is left out. The Ugly-Wuglies’ section is missing, but the story works just as well without them.

In some ways, I enjoyed this version more than the original. Virginia D. Gray’s descriptions aren’t as beautiful as E. Nesbit’s, but if they were, the book would have been a lot longer, and probably a lot less accessible for younger readers longer (I first read E. Nesbit when I was six, but although I loved Five Children and It, The Last of the Dragons and The Railway Children, I found The Enchanted Castle a bit slow). But the minimal descriptions make the book fast paced and exciting, the story works well when set in the present day, and I really loved the magical side.

If you’re personalising the story, it would be easier if you didn’t call a character Maybelle, as this is the name of the princess. Two characters with the same name are very confusing, as I found when I personalised Sense & Sensibility.

Like most personalised stories, The Enchanted Castle has an animal character – a pet cat or dog. I have never had a pet cat or dog and wouldn’t want either, though I always choose the cat in BookByYou. At least they don’t stick their head somewhere private and put their sharp claws on your nice new leopardskin tights. But I have found a couple of ways around the cat/dog situation. I named this particular cat after a rather energetic and inquisitive toddler I know, and it really did work brilliantly.