Tuesday 5 February 2013

Night Wolf (Teen Book By You)


Sophie is reading a mystery novel her new friend Jade has lent her. It’s a true story about a spate of killings and features a gorgeous Victorian detective called Kenneth. The next thing Sophie knows, she is in the middle of the mystery. Suffocated by corsets, far from impressed with coach travel…and gazing into a handsome detective’s eyes. Sophie has no idea who the killer is. But Kenneth has his own theories, and for once, he really hopes he’s wrong.





Before I read First Bite, I wasn’t into vampires. Before I read Night Wolf, I wasn’t into werewolves.

But they really do make the most amazingly romantic heroes. I’m so excited that there’s an adult version of Night Wolf. If it’s as different as Hot Blood is from First Bite, it will be like reading a new story about Kenneth. If it is basically just a sexed up version of Night Wolf, I’ll get to read the same amazing, exciting story all over again.

The story is exciting and genuinely scary as Sophie and Kenneth try to solve the mystery and keep their unusual secrets from each other. Kenneth finds Sophie a bit forward, but he’s intrigued by her and admires her intelligence, though he wishes she wouldn’t keep throwing herself into danger the minute his back’s turned. Sophie thinks Kenneth is a bit odd at times,  but he’s handsome, kind and intelligent, and when you’re a teenager from the 21st century, guys like that are always worth a second glance.

There is so much I love in the book. Other than Kenneth’s kisses, I can’t imagine anything more exciting than going to the British premiere of Eugene Onegin. I love that opera so much, it’s the perfect date as far as I’m concerned. It’s such a shame Sophie and Kenneth had to leave during the second act. That’s the best part. If it was during the third act, I wouldn’t have minded so much.

The only possible problem with the plot is that I guessed a big part of what was going on, but it didn’t ruin it for me. I had knowledge Sophie didn’t, so it’s understandable that she doesn’t know. You miss the tension of not knowing what’s going on, but you get a different kind of tension instead - when you’re desperate for the characters to find out the truth before it’s too late. Sophie and Kenneth have a lot to lose if the wrong person is found guilty.

The opera parts were mostly accurate. Far too many writers don’t bother to do much research for their novels, so it’s great that Kira Lerner and Ira Madison have done so much. I think the Onegin premiere was in the rebuilt Olympic Theatre with a capacity of 2150 (rather than the original building, which was less than half the size), so Sophie probably wouldn’t think of the hall as small. But if Sophie can travel through time, why not someone else? Maybe another time traveller delayed the rebuilding.

I know the book isn’t really about me, so there are always going to be things that are unlike me (I would much rather wear a Victorian gown than jeans and sneakers, but that probably really is just me), but that means I am extra thrilled and delighted when something happens to be right. Sophie says she has been to only a few operas, and her favourite is La bohème. I have been to over a hundred and my favourite is Don Giovanni (which I did indeed study in music class, just as Sophie says in Night Wolf). But La bohème was the fourth opera I saw, and at that time, it was my favourite. So BookByYou was right again.  

I really love how the different parts of the plot are woven together - La bohème is a lot of people’s favourite opera, but it also has a very important role to play in the plot. So many things that seem insignificant at the time become important later on. It’s very clever. Just like that sexy detective of a Kenneth.

As is usually going to happen when there are werewolves and murder mysteries all over the place, the book is quite violent. I don’t like violent books as a rule, but this violence was a necessary part of the plot, and I was so in love with the story (and Kenneth), I don’t think anything would have made me stop reading it. (Except Kenneth on my doorstep, perhaps.) The violence is horrible to read about at times, but stick with it. The story is worth it.

When choosing names for personalisation, I would avoid Nettie, Hollis, Mouse, Celestina and Giles. But that shouldn’t be too much trouble for most people.