Monday 25 February 2013

The Secret Adversary (Mystery By You)


When Tommy and Tuppence begin their career as The Young Adventurers, they have no idea what to expect - after all, they haven’t yet decided what young adventurers do. But after Tommy hears the name ‘Jane Finn’ in a restaurant and Tuppence decides to use it as an alias, they discover that being a young adventurer isn’t much fun after all. The violence and kidnappings aren’t so bad, but going without food is something they didn’t bargain for.





I’m fairly sure I’ve read something by Agatha Christie before, but although I had a strong impression she was a very good writer, her books didn’t especially grip me. Until I read BookByYou's Night Wolf, I didn’t have much interest in detective fiction. Detectives are always so clever and unemotional. But the mystery side of Night Wolf fascinated me almost as much as the sexy werewolf, and I thought it was time I gave Mystery By You a chance.

I completely fell in love with The Secret Adversary. Agatha Christie describes the action brilliantly, but not in such a way that you’re so busy admiring her eloquent turn of phrase, it distracts you from the story. The book has an incredible plot, full of twists and turns and red herrings.

She’s also created some amazing characters. I love Tommy and Tuppence so much. They have a great partnership. They’re brave and funny, and they also seem intelligent, though they are young and new to the business, so they make mistakes. But the main reason I love them is because they’re such lovely people.

I can’t decide if I want to read all Agatha Christie’s novels about Tommy and Tuppence right now, or if I want to wait in the hope that BookByYou will personalise them. I do have trouble reading about characters with nicknames, so I might find someone called Tuppence just too annoying. It makes her sound a bit cheap. But as I already love the character, I hope I’ll be able to overlook it.  

In a lot of books that take place in the past, I have trouble identifying with the characters because it’s so obviously a different world. But I found it really easy to identify with many of the characters in The Secret Adversary. The characters speak informally, the women are intelligent and independent (I’m not one of those annoying feminist people, I’m of those annoying equalitists), and it's easy to imagine a lot of the story happening in the present day.
I also loved reading the parts set in London, as I know a lot of the places Tommy and Tuppence go to. I’ve even stood outside the entrance to Dover Street tube station (now called Green Park, with a new entrance around the corner), though I didn’t get there until nearly seventy years after it closed.

The only problem with the brilliant plot was that I’d worked out most of what was going on by the time I was halfway through the book. This happens a lot. It’s strange, as I never know what’s going on in real life. But it didn’t matter. I was completely caught up in the story, and knowing what’s going to happen doesn’t make a story – or anything else - less scary. I loved the book, and it’s definitely one of my favourite personalised books, along with Black Lace, Emma and the other Jane Austen novels.

When personalising this book, you should stay away from names like James, Rita, Annette, Boris and Conrad, and don’t under any circumstances give any guy characters the surname Brown. Whittington, Kramenin and Vandemeyer are also inadvisable.

The names in the chapter headings aren’t always correct (in the chapter list and within the book), but there doesn’t seem to be any similar problems with the text. There are some confusing bits in the story, but I think they're supposed to be there.

I’m really looking forward to personalising BookByYou’s Hercule Poirot novel. I’m definitely going to give my character a name I can actually pronounce. (I can read and write French up to a point, but I can’t say anything much without making people laugh.)