Saturday 2 March 2013

Books I'd love to star in


I’m probably a little bit obsessed and odd (actually, there’s no ‘probably’ about it), but I’ve been thinking about books I’ve enjoyed reading, and wondering which books I’d most like BookByYou to personalise.



I’m not sure how BookByYou chooses which books to personalise. As all the original versions of the personalised classics were written quite a long time ago, I thought maybe they could only personalise books that were out of copyright. I’m not sure about the copyright laws in Canada, but in England and Wales, works don’t go out of copyright until seventy years after the author’s death. But Agatha Christie didn’t die until 1989, so her books aren’t anywhere near being out of copyright, yet her first two novels have been personalised (and I’m so glad they have, as I now have a new favourite author, not to mention a new crush, the lovely Tommy Beresford).

Without knowing which books are eligible, it’s difficult for me to write a list of books I’d love to star in, but here are some of my favourites.

Mansfield Park/Persuasion (Jane Austen)

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (Anne Bronte)

A Room with a View (E. M. Forster)

Far From the Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy)

Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)

The Mysteries of Udolpho (Ann Radcliffe)

Or any other books by these authors.

I also love The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde) and The Turn of the Screw (Henry James), but they don’t have a central romance. But maybe BookByYou will do PlayByYou sometime in the future – some personalised Oscar Wilde or Shakespeare (though changing the names would disrupt the rhythm/rhymes) would be lovely.

It would also be great to own some more personalised Agatha Christies. The Moving Finger is my favourite so far (apart from The Secret Adversary).